Sec. 749B of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 293k) as amended.
75 FR 29451, May 26, 2010, unless otherwise noted.
§ 5a.1 Statutory basis and purpose.
This part implements section 749B(f) of the Public Health Service Act. These provisions define “underserved rural community” for purposes of the Rural Physician Training Grant Program.
This part applies to grants made under section 749B of the Public Health Service Act.
§ 5a.3 Definition of Underserved Rural Community.
Underserved Rural Community means a community:
(a) Located in:
(1) A non-Metropolitan County or Micropolitan county; or
(2) If it is within a Metropolitan county, all Census Tracts that are assigned a Rural-Urban Commuting Area (RUCAs) codes of 4–10; or
(3) Census Tracts within a Metropolitan Area with RUCA codes 2 and 3 that are larger than 400 square miles and have population density of less than 30 people per square mile; and
(b) Located in a current:
(1) Federally-designated Primary Health Care Geographic Health Professions Shortage Area, (under section 332(a)(1)(A) of the Public Health Service Act) or
(2) Federally-designated Medically Underserved Area (under section 330(b)(3) of the Public Health Service Act).